Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Rot (11.02.14)

Hi! And straight to the point. In recent interview you said that you plan to release couple of splits this year. What're the bands that take part in it?)

Rafael: No splits planned for now. We're working in a new one sided 7" though.

What was the reason of pausing the band's activity? How often do you rehearse? Who's rotting in Rot now (your current line-up, I mean)?

Rafael: Some members got tired of the band back then, that's why we broke up in 2008. We've been practicing for one time every two weeks. Line up now is Marcelo and Marcolino on vocals, Mendigo on guitar, Bucho on bass and I play the drums.

Time goes by mercilessly and next year is your 25-year anniversary! I know rushing things isn't very polite, but do you plan to do some kind of present to your fans on this occation?)



Rafael: No plans.

Rafael, you joined the band when it already has been pretty well-known. When did you first hear about Rot? How did you become a sterling member of the band?

Rafael: The split 7" with Agathocles was the second 7" I bought in my life, that was the first time I heard about Rot. I joined the band in the end of 2004. A rehearsal, then a meeting and everything went pretty well since our first time together. 

Recently our beloved Agathocles visited Brazil. It's no secret that you guys are longtime friends. Did you manage to have some booze for friendship?)

Rafael: Yes, Nils (the drummer) is a good friend of mine and we got super wasted indeed. I don't know Jan or Koen very well, but they seem to be very nice guys too. It was great to have them here.  

Brazil is awesome and warm country. You have a large underground scene with a lot of great bands. What do you think about next Obscene Extreme in Brazil?)

Rafael: I think it would be great to have OEF here, why not? That would be cool.

Agression in your music and lyrics is based on a real-life experience?

Rafael: Mostly yes. 

Tell us about Extreme Noise discos. I was damn shocked when I saw the photos. It's essentially a Valhalla!)

Rafael: Indeed, Alexander, it's great. It's Marcelo's record store. Lots of great stuff.

I think nobody would disagree with the fact that drums requires a lot of effort. Do you train your body? Morning exercises, jogging and all that stuff?)

Rafael: Hahahahahaha, yes, I try to go to some pubs every week and that helps me a lot! That's what I call a healthy life!

I don't want to offend you, but no matter how good Brazil is shown on TV, I know that there are a lot of criminal stuff and other shit. Even in famous Rio de Janeiro there are places that you surely don't want to go. Last few years there's a chaos all over the Earth. Protests, war conflicts etc. Could humanity ever find a wisdom and power to get rid of this, in your opinion?

Rafael: Relax, I don't get offended by that at all. It would be completely pointless to get offended by something like that. To change something, people needs to change themselves first. Revolt is a very important thing, but revolt with nothing behind, revolt with no brains behind, ends up in nothing in most cases. Of course there are lots of poeple doing great things here, but when we talk about brazilian people at its majority, it's a pretty sad thing. It seems that brazilian people (again, I'm talking about the majority) are getting more conservative and dumb everyday. Scary shit! 

And what about some irregular merchandize (cups, pants, macaroni, even sneackers:))?

Rafael: Sorry, man, that's such a stupid question.

Do you have favorite non-extreme bands? What makes you relax and forget about troubles all around?

Rafael: Sure, I listen to all kinds of stuff. From Black Sabbath to James Brown, from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds to Comus, from Uriah Heep to Curtis Mayfield...The list goes on and on.  

Rafael, what bands affected your life and your perception of this rotten world?

Rafael: Black Sabbath!

I know that you're a cinemaddict, what new movies impressed you and what new movies wasn't good experience at all?

Rafael: Yes, I am. To tell you the truth, I'm not that interested in what's going on lately. I prefer to talk about movies that impressed me no matter what the year they were made. Well, I must definetely point "Wake in Fright" by Ted Kotcheff. It is great! That's one movie I discovered recently that impressed me a lot! Great, great movie! I'm really looking forrward to German Angst, which is a project with has Jorg Buttgereit + Michal Kosakowski + Andreas Marschall. Now a big disappointment was "One Down Two to Go" by Fred Williamson! A horrible movie with an amazing cast (Fred Williamson himself, Jim Brown, Richard Roundtree and Jim Kelly). It's awful! Such a shame.  

Imagine that some fashion-asshole or dumbass-clubber appeared in Hell (Dante's Hell, let's say). And on every circle of hell (overall 9, I remind :)) he must listen to some music album. What 9 albums do you choose to make those sinners suffer?)

Rafael: Hahaha, no need to pick 9 records. I'd play Damiao Experienca to them for the whole eternity. That would make them suffer for real!  


I once saw in the Internet that in your country people eat dried monkeys with beer, have you tasted it?)

Rafael: Oh yeah, I do that all the time! Everybody does that here in Brazil, no matter if they're poor or rich. All you need to do is to go to a bar and ask for it, and it's for free! Can you believe it? It's great. We love to fuck goats too.  And yes, we dance samba all the time. All of us with no exception. You can't see me, but I'm dancing now. It's hard to type while you're dancing though. 

Thank you so much for this interview. Questions are over, so does beer, some closing speech from you, please.

Rafael: No speech. I have nothing to say. 

For more information go to: