Thursday, November 15, 2018

Suppression / Flvx Capacitor (Chaotic Noise Productions)

I was really excited when this tape showed up in the mail the other day; I've been looking forward to reviewing this release for a while. There's something really satisfying about getting a tape that's a little under 15 minutes in length, but with a song count that would makemost people go "how could you possibly remember that all of that?". This tape contains 27 tracks from FLVX and 31 tracks from Suppression, wrapped up in a traditional black/clear tape case with some brigh artwork. The art is definitely eye-catching, since it's orange, light blue, and yellow (a little different from your standard grind release, haha!), but otherwise it doesn't really stand out as amazing artwork to me. But what about the contents of the tape? Do they stand out? Lets find out.

I started with the Flvx Capacitor side, and my first though was "damn, this is what I was hoping for". It starts with a sample and some swelling noise, and promptly burts into a no-frills grindcore frenzy. To me, it sounds like it was recorded very simply - live, raw, and all in the same room. It's very raw, but in a good way. You can hear everything pretty well - the vocals, drums, and guitar definitely stand out and don't really get lost, though I wish I was able to hear the bass a bit more. The times you can hear it, it definitely has that grinding bass sound that we all know and love. But besides the sound, this is 27 tracks of non-stop, pummelling grindcore. This is what grind SHOULD be - just...fucking relentless. You don't get a break, you just get broken.

Suppression comes next, and this side doesn't disappoint at all. It's loud, it's fast, and it's full of that electronic noise that you'd expect from Suppression. Honestly, I'd say it's even more relentless than the Flvx Capacitor side. The distorted vocals are so up front and in your face, it almost feels like Jason is grabbing your head and screaming into your ears, and he sounds PISSED. The drums come through really well, as does the electronics when they're used, though a lot of times when everything was going at full blast, it felt pretty easy to miss the bass. But then again...we're in this for the speed and the aggression, not the ability to pick out the exact notes he's hitting, am I right? This side of the split is absolutely pulverizing, and it's a truly fine piece of noise.

All in all - I listened to this a few times in a row, and frankly, I'm fucking exhausted. This split blew me away, and it sucked the life right out of me with its huge tracklist of chaos and noise. I loved this, and I'll go back to it in the future, for sure.

Rating: 8.5/10 Suppression fb Flvx Capacitor fb


Remember guys,keep the underground music scene strong by supporting the artist/band/labelsGet your physical copy HERE! 

Review by Nick Vecellio