Monday, November 27, 2017

Augurs / Deathgrave

Now here is a split I've absolutely loved from day 1. 2014 was an interesting year for Extreme Music in general and was loaded with great releases. Augurs and Deathgrave, 2 of California's finest, joining forces to unleash a hellstorm. Where do I even begin with this release? I suppose we can start with the cover art. This appears to be some sort of a statue of a monk in robes that seems to be slowly transforming into a tree, at least that is my personal impression. Alright, now comes the really fun part, the music! Augurs deliver unto us 1 blistering fast track of raucous noise and fury.tilted From Maggots to Fly. Yes, that is correct, only 1 song from Augurs. This caught me off guard at first, but I swiftly changed views when I put this record under the needle. I was instantly thrown into a vortex of aggression and pain. Every riff,every blast beat, every word choked out into the microphone will leave you feeling like you had less skin than when you began. Now, we are on to Deathgrave. And boy what a treat! Unlike their counterparts in Augurs, Deathgrave come barreling at us with 3 songs of raw,pissed off,face grinding noise. These first two titles are quite humorous, Brutal and Hugged in Half are definitely not friendly as their names suggest. In fact they're quite the opposite. And Inquisitive Apathy is the perfect closing statement to this release. Stacked riffs,ferocious vocals and blistering blast beats bring this ensemble of 4 songs to a perfect close.
Rating: 7.5/10 Deathgrave Augurs