Monday, June 15, 2015

Bloody Phoenix (15.06.15)


Hi, Jerry! How's by you? Introduce present-day members of Bloody Phoenix, please.

Hello Alexander.  Everything is alright here.  Members are myself on guitar, Mike - drums, Amelia - bass, & Charlie vokills.

I don't intend to be unkind, it's a compliment: you seem to be a foodie. What's your favourite dish?:) 

Sorry I don’t know what you mean.  Are you talking food or football haha?  Pizza, beer, LA Galaxy & FC St. Pauli about sums it up.



So you've done with your tour. What sticked in your memory? How many cities did you do ''a hatcher job'' on? 
wink emoticon And what was the problem at Canadian border, why were you refused passage?

Sorry again, I’m not quite sure what you mean by a hatcher job.  What’s stuck in my memory most is all the old friends I got to see and the new ones I made.  Spending an off day in Austin, TX getting drunk everywhere, and also not being allowed into Canada.  As for why we were refused, ..our bass player had a DUI which is a felony in Canada and they pulled out a fight our drummer had in high school.  He had no problem getting in with it on his record last time.  After they denied him entry they told our bass player they would let her in if they let in our drummer. They just weren’t going to let us in.

Girls in grind and same-as genres inspire respect. Let's talk a little about your bassist Amelia, how did you make acquaintance with her? Are you satisfied with her operation?:)

I put up a message on our Facebook page that we were searching for a bass player.  She wrote to me shortly afterward saying that she played bass and was interested.  We had mutual friends.  She’s great.  Tough, hard worker.  Oh and crazy too.  Perfect.


After years of recording and playing which format do you prefer: split or album? And tell us why, please.

100% album.  You get to really hear what a band is about, you get a full dose.  Splits I see more as incomplete, more of  a glimpse of a band.  

Once you've mentioned, that you like touring, playing wherever. 
One great day you played in my hometown - Kyiv. Has that Ukraine tour photographed on your memory?

Oh yes.  Had a great time in the Ukraine.  The hospitality was awesome, we were treated like kings, I felt very much at home, like I was visiting family.  On the flip side we had to cancel our first Ukrainian show due to being held at the Russian border for about 12 hours or so. That was a very long day.  As far as Kyiv goes,.. the most memorable thing was after our show we went to a market across the street and someone who was at the show recommended we buy this Honey Pepper Vodka.  Nemiroff.  Ahahaha it was like drinking gasoline.  We had to sip it here and there.  We did eventually finish it a week or so later.  We did share some shots with the guys from Ramming Speed when we met them in Czech Rep.  We very much enjoyed seeing the flames in their eyes as they drank it Haha.  It will forever be our link to our friendship. Great times.

Just recently you've stated, that Bloody Phoenix disbands and you're giving the very last concert...  This news knocked me senseless, I declare. Tell us about the reasons, please...

Yes,. it’s true.  There’s no one reason why we are disbanding, there are several.  Basically it’s just time to move on.  We’ve been a band for almost 14 years now.  That’s a long time.  It’s better to split as friends than to push on and sour friendships.  We part as family.


But let's leave it at that! I think, you won't stop, Jerry, hehe. 
What are your further plans as a musician? Are you taking a pause?

Haha no I won’t stop.  I have plenty of fire left in me, but I do need a vacation from being in a band.  I don’t have any concrete plans on what comes next, I’ve thought about it but I don’t want to.  I just want to step away and enjoy not thinking for a while.  So yes I will be taking a pause.

Jerry, what trades of character do you appreciate the most? And inversely, what personal qualities bitch you off ?

I appreciate honesty & humility the most.  Loyalty, consideration, fairness, thoughtfulness, perseverance, wisdom.   I can’t stand selfishness, defeatism, vanity, greed. 

This question is indispensible. Do Bloody Phoenix have any unrealesed material? Should we wait for something postmortem? 

Yes.  There is a split 7” currently out there with SEITAN from Sweden that has our name and artwork on the other side of the record.  Problem is the music that is on it is not ours.  It belongs to Mass Grave from Canada.  It was a huge mistake by Psychocontrol records.  So the music that was suppose to be on that record will be released at some point.  Also our latest/last recording should be put out in the coming months.  It’s a 4way split LP that will be released by Deep Six Records(USA) & Dead Heroes(CZ).



Jerry, how you've picked up a guitar? I mean, you don't pay drums, a violin etc. What guitar-players asserted influence on you?

Well at first I was heavily influenced by the guitar players in my family(none of which EVER gave me a lesson, fucking bastards!).  I have a few in my extended family.  My grandfather was a musician.  But anyway, I just always wanted to play guitar.  I begged my parents for years for one.  I got my first one when I was 12 I think.  I can play drums, well my arms can but my legs never listen to what my brain tells them to.  They just tell me I should be happy they keep me standing when I’m drunk, so I leave them alone about it.   Aside from my cousins who played guitar my influences were Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani, EVH, SRV, Eric Johnson, Randy Rhodes, + a thousand others

By the way, where do you come down on the fact, that Excruciating Terror rebanded a couple of years ago?

Well I’ll just say I thought the band should have stayed dead.  You can’t recapture nor reproduce what you were.  

If reincarnation existed, who would you pass into and why?

Hmmm, I’d like to be reincarnated as a rock or a stone near a waterfall.  Or better yet space debris so I’d be left the fuck alone and just float around enjoying the serenity.



So our short interview came to an end. Great thanks, Jerry! Lastly, vaticinate words of wisdom to lovers of Bloody Phoenix, please 
wink emoticon

Thanks Alexander,….to the people who care, there aren’t enough thank yous in the world that I could give you for all the support you’ve given over the years.  This is just the end of one band though, I am not retiring just moving on to whatever will come next.  This is not a goodbye, just a I’ll see you later.

For more info:
Bloody Phoenix fb